Zachary Hart, Ph.D., Department Chair
Stephanie Klatzke, Ph.D. & Mark Leeman, Ph.D., Graduate Program Directors
The public relations certificate is an 18 hour certificate program that results in a stand-alone certificate enhancing understanding of public relations theory and practice or that can serve as an embedded certificate in the Master of Arts in Communication degree. The certificate is composed of nine hours of required coursework and nine hours of selective electives, all of which can be counted toward a master’s degree in communication.
The public relations certificate is designed to provide students with the knowledge, skills, and competencies to better understand and perform in areas of public relations and is geared toward teaching students how to apply this knowledge to the workplace and society.
The certificate allows analysis of public relations case studies, practice in consulting, public relations campaigns, event planning, and other applied public relations practices. This certificate provides students with the opportunity to enact civic engagement, learn about digital technology, and promote understanding of the relationships between organizations and their publics.
In order to be considered for regular admission to the Public Relations Certificate program, applicants will need:
- An online application for graduate admission to Northern Kentucky University (apply.nku.edu).
- A bachelor’s degree at a regionally accredited institution with a grade point average (GPA) of at least 3. 0 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- Previous graduate work, if any, with a grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- Official transcripts for all undergraduate and graduate work, including all work transferred into other institutions.
- An academic writing sample (such as an undergraduate research paper). Students who do not have a current academic writing sample can contact the graduate program director for an alternative writing prompt.
- A 500-word statement of interest explaining why you seek to earn a Master’s in Communication at Northern Kentucky University Public Relations Certificate.
- Three letters of recommendation (specifically explaining your academic preparation and potential for success in graduate study) and completed NKU Graduate Education reference forms. These may be found at http://inside.nku.edu/graduate/admission-process.html. The letters should be addressed to Dr. Stephanie Klatzke and should be sent by the person recommending you directly to Northern Kentucky University, Office of Graduate Education, AC 302, Nunn Drive, Highland Heights, KY 41099 or emailed to email@example.com.
♦ Indicates prerequisite.